The other day, I walked into my husband’s “man cave” with my laptop. I figured while he watched his shows, I’d work on my writing. I was barely paying attention, but when I heard Indian music, I glanced up. There was Bollywood style dancing going on at some Indian party with men and women on the show. Instantly, I turned to my husband and asked, “What show is this?”
“Sense8,” he answered as he continued to watch the screen.
I was intrigued because they were portraying the Indian culture perfectly, so I sat through it and watched the rest of the show. And just that quickly, I was hooked.
Within couple of days, I watched all of the shows and even went back to see some of favorite scenes again. Now, I don’t typically watch TV. I just don’t have time like that because of my full time job and my writing career. But, I decided to put everything to the side because I just had to know what happened in this show.
So, what is Sense8 about? Hmm, very difficult to explain. It definitely has a sci-fi element to it… But it’s so much more. For me, it’s about diversity and love. It’s about accepting others for their differences. It’s about standing up to what you believe in no matter how confusing or difficult it may be. It’s about good vs evil and about making some tough decisions. I have laughed and cried in this show… yelled and screamed at the characters for doing dumb things. Ugh, I can’t say enough good things about Sense8. I love every single one of the characters.
Here’s a brief description of the characters (Note: There may be spoilers)
Will– Chicago cop
Background: good guy, wants to fight for justice, first of the sensates to really start figuring out what’s happening with them. Takes on sort of a leadership role. He’s very close to his father.
Riley: From Iceland but lives in London.
Background: She’s a DJ and pretty much is on her own. Her father is in Iceland, but she’s afraid of returning because of something major that had occurred in the past. She is the most connected with Will, and he ends up saving her quite a bit throughout various incidences.
Background: She’s a pharmacist and is engaged to a very successful and wealthy Indian man. It’s an arranged marriage in a way because she doesn’t love him. She feels pressures from the Indian culture and wants to do the “right” thing to make her parents happy. The problem is, she keeps having vision of Wolfgang (another sensate). Eventually, she forms a strong connection with him and becomes emotionally attached to him. I love this story because of my Indian background. I think they portrayed the Indian culture very well and the pressures from the society. Now, my only wish is Kala would please just follow her heart and not worry about all the other BS.
Background: First of all, I think he may be my favorite character. He’s a very intense guy. He’s had a messed up childhood and crazy upbringing. His entire family is basically in the mafia. This guy is pretty messed up and can be a coldhearted killer. But, like Kala said to him once, “There’s something good and beautiful hidden inside you.” I just hope Wolfie finds some peace. He’s very attached to Kala but also knows that she deserves better. He can’t offer her anything, because after all, he’s a criminal. Besides that, he knows that her life would be in danger if it was discovered how much he cares for her. So, as far as I’m concerned, he makes the ultimate sacrifice and pushes Kala away. He tells her to marry Rajan (the Indian guy she’s engaged to).
Ugh, broke my heart! I can only hope Kala and Wolfgang end up together in Season2 and say screw the world.
Lito: Mexico City
Background: He’s a famous actor who also is gay. The thing is, he hasn’t had the courage to tell the world that he’s gay. He has a steady boyfriend (I LOVE HIM)! But, they keep their relationship hidden. Lito story is discovering himself and figuring out how to get the courage to do the right thing. Unfortunately, this could cost his career. I love Lito’s story because I’m sure there are so many who go through the same thing as him. He contributes to the Sense8 force with his acting skills.
Nomi: San Francisco
Background: She’s transgender and a lesbian. Her mother is nuts and thinks Nomi needs brain surgery. Nomi is basically on the run and hiding out with her girlfriend. Nomi is also a hacker…a very intelligent hacker. I liked how she steps up to go after the bad guys.
Background: Very poor and mother has HIV. His sole purpose it to make a living for his mother and get her the medications she needs. He gets messed up with the gangs in Africa and gets himself into some crazy situations.
Sun: South Korea
Background: Probably another one of my favorite characters. This girl can kick some ass. LOVE HER! She’s from a culture where women are not seen as equal to men. Her entire life, she has been trying to impress her father. She ends up in jail for taking the fall for her brother’s crimes. Her story touches my heart. As crazy as her life is, she remains strong and focused. Whenever one of the sensates is in trouble, Sun is there to get them out of the jam. Yeah, she’s pretty badass.
Now, on to Season 2. I saw the first episode but unfortunately, we have to wait until May 5th to see the rest. What would I like to see in Season 2?
- I want sensates to use their strength and go on offense. They are strong together. Each will need to bring something to the table and hunt Whispers down (that’s the bad guy). I’m tired of seeing Will in the state he is currently. Helpless and hopelss. Nope! They gotta fix this very fast. I mean, why can’t Kala use her knowledge to get Will into more alert state, yet still able to block Whispers from entering his mind?
- As much as I love Riley and Kala, I would like to see them more focused on the mission and show how they can fight the evil. I loved how Riley was able to overcome her emotional trauma and save Will. And I loved how Kala built that bomb to save Wolfgang. I want to see more of their fighting spirit.
- Sun has to get out of jail. Damn, it’s breaking my heart. It’s not right what’s happening to her. She needs to get out, confront her brother, and go get her dog back. Oh, and more of her fight scenes please. They are freakin’ amazing!
- Okay, they have to fix Wolfgang and Kala’s story. It’s obvious they love one another. I mean, isn’t the whole show about how love conquers all? I was disappointed she follows what the society and the culture expects her to do. To me, that’s a sign of weakness. I want her to do some soul searching and go after what she wants. Listen to her heart. (Believe me, I should know since I’m in an interracial marriage. No, it’s not easy as an Indian woman. But, courage comes from deep within, and you have to find it to do what’s right for you). I want Wolfgang to love himself and realize he deserves her. That he deserves to be happy. I want him to get out of all that mafia craziness somehow (he never wanted it anyway) and fight for her. Oh, by the way, LOVE his friendship with his “brother by choice.”
- Can I say that Rajan totally gets on my nerves? He’s too nice! Nobody is like that. It’s not real. Every time he’s around, he makes me cringe. In Season 2, I really hope we see another side of him. I mean, for all we know he could be connected with Whispers somehow. Or he could be doing some illegal stuff (drug dealings). They own that pharmaceutical company, so you never know. There has to be more to Rajan. Ugh, get rid of him.
- Lastly, I’d want all 8 of them to be together for real at least one time. Like not just their images. I want them to be physically together.
Ok, so that’s my ramblings of Sense8! Go watch it. Great show! There’s a lot of violence and sex, so be prepared.